Why is LDL oxidized in atherosclerosis
A service of the university publication processing of the SUB Hamburg
Lipid peroxidation plays a central role in atherogenesis. Antibodies against oxidized LDL (Ox-LDL-Ab) are discussed as a diagnostic marker for atherosclerosis progression. Numerous studies show a connection between Ox-LDL-Ab titers and artherosclerotic diseases and their progression, while other studies could not prove this connection. In this work, the Ox-LDL-Ab titer of 258 patients with coronary artery disease who had a diagnostic or interventional coronary angiography in 1998 was compared with that of 200 healthy blood donors. In addition, lipid parameters were compared between the test subjects and controls. The aim of the present work was to examine whether there is a connection between Ox-LDL-Ab, lipid parameters and the extent of atherosclerosis in order to verify Ox-LDL-Ab as a possible diagnostic marker for atherosclerotic diseases. The lipid parameters associated with atherosclerotic events tended to be found to be elevated in our patient group, although the use of cholesterol-lowering drugs had already potentially influenced pre-existing hyperlipoproteinemia. While other typical risk factors such as an unfavorable apolipoprotein E genotype, smoking, arterial hypertension, diabetes mellitus and a positive family history were found in the patients, no significant difference in the Ox-LDL-Ab titre between the patients and controls could be determined. Hypothetically, these results could be explained by a stronger immune competence of the younger control group and thus the weaker humoral immunity of the older patient group. In conclusion, it can be stated that our results do not allow a connection between Ox-LDL-Ab and the development of atherosclerosis. Further controlled, prospective studies with a sufficient number of cases, standardized Ox-LDL-Ab assays and broad coverage of the previously known risk factors are required in order to define the role of Ox-LDL-Ab in the atherosclerosis process in more detail.
- What is fat acceptance
- How much should custom-made orthotics be
- Is the BMW i3 completely electric
- Is soda water good for our health?
- Why use kerosene and not olive oil
- What is the official website of bitcoin
- Why are Mumbai rains so special
- When will science accept its limits?
- How do you recognize innovation
- Is drinking overrated?
- Which actor overreacts in films
- What is the english name of halwa
- What is the connection between technology and physics
- How difficult are the humanities after grade 10
- Are the true masters of the earth cats
- What is capital 2
- Why are there live fish in Walmart
- Can a CM be exposed
- Why did the AI come so late?
- Whatever lasts forever
- What is Reversible Encephalopathy Syndrome
- Are you crazy why or why not
- What are notifications
- What is your productive morning routine