How do you assess and describe the personality
Personality & character of effective managers
Personality and character: definition and practical relevance
Core problem of personnel and managerial development
There are roughly 5,000 personality traits and traits. This raises important practical questions:
- Which of these properties should a Executive to have?
- Are personality traits at all relevant?
- Who is as a manager suitable?
- Which applicant should you hire (for example in job interview)?
- Does an applicant suit our company (Culture)?
- Which Services can be seen from this person in future expect?
The future behavior (and thus the performance) of a person is one of the most important in personnel and managerial development Success factors.
The reason: the cast is more important Positions in companies with unsuitable people is one of the largest Bad investments. There are also negative ones emotional Side effects such as frustration, more negative stress, destructive Conflicts and political (power)Fights.
To answer these questions, we need to start with some Basic concepts and clarify.
What is "personality"?
It is scientific not yet clarified what influence Inheritance, education and Learn to have. For the Personality diagnostics it is crucial that these characteristics are observable, solidified Habits is how people respond to their in certain situations typical way react.
The fact that habits mostly deeply rooted is what makes it possible future behavior to predict. But that's only with validated test procedures possible (prognostic validity). "star sign“Are an example of Not valid personality descriptions.
The impression that such personality descriptions (see for example the DISG personality test or that Reiss profile) apparently provide correct descriptions is created by the Barnum effect.
Important for practice: differentiate between personality and competencies!
examples for Personality traits are enthusiasm, ambition, intelligence, curiosity, optimism or emotional stability /sensitivity. The special thing about it is that these properties are little or no unchangeable or are learnable.
The vernacular also says that you cannot change a person. Because of this, personality traits are for that selection of candidates for certain tasks and Positions crucial.
Against are Competencies (Skills) essential lighter changeable or learnable. Examples of competencies are:
- solve conflicts
- Set (motivating) goals
- Convince others
- building up trust
- Delegate responsibility
- give (constructive) feedback etc.
The Distinction between Competencies and Personality traits has a ethical and a economic Dimension. It cannot be the job of a company to change a person's personality.
Apart from that, exist (also in the psychotherapy) no learning or influencing methods (except possibly the "Brainwashing“), With which one could change the personality with a reasonable effort.
Against are Competencies with traditional learning and training methods relatively easy to acquire. For the practice In terms of personnel and managerial development, this means:
- Requirement profile andPersonality profile (of the candidate) to match, i.e. to determine the “right” candidate for the “right position”.
- For the job necessary Competencies with the existing skills compare and estimate the learning and training needs.
A detailed list with the most important personality traits, competencies and values can be found under the link Strengths and weaknesses (Download PDF).
The combination of personality traits, competencies and values that is necessary to implement the goals of the organization is decisive for entrepreneurial success.
More tips for managers
- Why is Maedchen a common noun
- What is an onahole
- What is the difference between Expressionism and Fauvism
- How do molars and premolars differ?
- What is the market size for Magnesium Hydroxide
- What is sparkling Pinot Noir
- Is lysine positive or negative
- What do start and stop codons do
- What are essential business travel accessories
- Are you your most authentic self
- Are the people in Greeley CO friendly
- What features made you an Android addict
- What makes a good cult film
- Do you like cuddly toys
- Can cause GERD insomnia
- What is SASS in Bootstrap
- How was conscription in Germany
- What is the satellite
- What is the most inspiring moment
- Which RC cars have the coolest features
- The HubSpot certification is worth it
- What is a Weir Sanitary Trap
- How do I keep silent?
- Why are spreadsheets so important