Is nitrogen an element or a compound
Nitrogen - chemical symbol N (from Nitrogenium), atomic number 7 - is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gaseous chemical element of the 5th main group of the periodic table (group 15; pentele) under normal conditions.
Overview: General data on nitrogen
The N atom - and thus the chemical element nitrogen - is clearly defined by the 7 positively charged protons in the atomic nucleus. The same number of electrons ensures the electrical balance in the uncharged nitrogen atom.
The nuclear building blocks of the neutrons ensure that there are differences between the atomic nuclei. These types of atoms are under the term Nitrogen isotopes or nitrogen nuclides (isotope data: see there).
The earthly nitrogen deposits consist of an isotope mixture of four different nuclides; the relative atomic mass is given as 14.007 u.
|N||7||[He] 2s2 2p3||2||2||3|
The following table lists the binding energies or the ionization energies IE of nitrogen, i.e. the energy required in electron volts (eV) to separate a specific electron from a nitrogen atom.
|1. IE:||14.5341 eV||2. IE:||29.6013 eV||3. IE:||47.44924 eV||4. IE:||77.4735 eV||5. IE:||97.8902 eV||6. IE:||552.0718 eV|
|7. IE:||667,046 eV||8. IE:||eV||9. IE:||eV||10. IE:||eV||11. IE:||eV||12. IE:||eV|
Electron binding energy
The following table lists the electron binding energies of the individual nitrogen electrons in the respective orbitals. The values are given in electron volts (eV).
Spectral lines of nitrogen
The following figure shows an emission spectrum of nitrogen with the characteristic spectral lines in the visible wavelength range between 400 and 700 nm:
Normal potential of nitrogen:
|E.0 (V)||Nox||Name Ox.||Ox.||e-||⇔||Red.||Name Red.||Nox|
|-3,09||0||nitrogen||3/2 N2 (g) + H+||+ e-||⇔||HN3 (G)||Hydrazoic acid||- III|
|-3,04||0||nitrogen||N2 (g) + 4H2||+ 2 e-||⇔||2 NH2OH + 2 OH-||Hydroxylamine||- I.|
|0,092||0||nitrogen||N2 (g) + 2H2O (aq)||+ 6 e-||⇔||2 NH4OH (aq)||Ammonium hydroxide||- III|
|0,11||- II||Hydrazine||(aq) + 4H2O||+ 2 e-||⇔||2 NH4+ + 4 OH-||Ammonium ion||- III|
|0,8||+ V||Nitrate anion||NO3- (aq) + 2H+ (aq)||+ e-||⇔||NO2 (g) + H2O (aq)||Nitrogen dioxide||+ IV|
|1,42||- I.||Hydroxylammonium ion||2NH3OH+ + H+||+ 2 e-||⇔||N2H5+ + 2 H.2O||Hydrazinium ion||- II|
Material and physical properties of nitrogen
The following overview shows some physical data and material properties of pure nitrogen in the form of N.2 on.
External information offers
Group items - information
Nitrogen and nitrogen compounds
Chemical database: physical and chemical properties, safety data sheets, commercially available substances and compounds; various search criteria including structure search
Synthesis, manufacture, production
Ammonia synthesis 10
... according to the Haber-Bosch process. Schematic overview. Lecture materials Technical Inorganic Chemistry. University of Freiburg - Format: PDF
Ammonia synthesis 2
... according to the Haber-Bosch process. General information on reaction technology. University of Freiburg - Format: PDF
Ammonia synthesis 3
... according to the Haber-Bosch process. Flow diagram of an ammonia plant. University of Freiburg - Format: PDF
Analysis and determination
Geochemistry and biogeochemistry
Institutes and research facilities
Research project: nitrogen limitation in inland waters
Category: Chemical elements
Updated on 26.04.2020.
© 1996 - 2021 Internetchemie ChemLin
- How statistics are related to other sciences
- Russian women meet with Africans
- How do I learn arrays in Java
- Why do fried foods taste so good
- What are sine waves
- Which animal name starts with ZE
- How big is a flyer
- Help Where should I live in France
- Can consciousness exist outside of our brain
- Who said China is a sleeping giant
- What causes a painful sebum cyst
- What game would Satan play with God?
- Why wasn't the modular building removed?
- What is clinical chemistry
- Can we delete IAS without coaching?
- Mormons created new biblical laws
- How can you hold a black hole
- Which is more efficient calloc or malloc
- What is care quality assurance
- Ruined the shard of London's skyline
- Helps coffee with fatty liver problems
- What is 10 + 20 + 80 50
- What are vertical spread options
- What is LGBT Marketing Insight
- Why does Mark Zuckerberg hate Evan Spiegel
- Does vegetable protein make sense?
- What does a Lead Marketing Automation
- What are India's dangerous weapons
- What is a desktop injection molding machine
- Who would light candles for years
- How do you secure admission to MIT
- What is an MBA degree
- Which markets show the most noticeable inefficiencies?
- How do I build a good dashboard