Why do you need online transcriptions
The transcription mode
You can transcribe audio and video files in MAXQDA. To do this, you must first select the audio or video file via the entries of the same name on the tab import import. (How this works exactly and where MAXQDA stores the recordings is explained in detail here.)
When importing a recording, an empty text document is created in the "List of documents" to which the audio or video file is assigned and in which you can type the transcript. You can recognize such text documents with an assigned media file by the special symbols in the "List of documents": Transcripts of audio files have a note as a symbol and transcripts of video files have a video camera:
Switch on transcription mode and start transcription
To start transcribing in MAXQDA, right-click the document and select the entry Transcribe audio file or. Video file transcribe.
This switches MAXQDA into the so-called "transcription mode", in which the windows necessary for the transcription are automatically and optimally arranged:
- The "multimedia browser" is displayed and placed at the top of the screen.
- The “Document Browser” with the transcript is displayed directly below - you can type in your transcript here.
- A dialog appears to the left of the "Multimedia browser" in which you can make all the important settings for the transcription.
Now you can play the recording and start transcribing. To start playback and pause in between,
- press the button F4 or the key F5
- or press press the Ctrl key twice in a row (Windows) or Shift ⇧ (Mac), then the fingers only have to cover a short distance,
- or use the play and pause symbol in the "multimedia browser", which is usually too cumbersome for transcribing.
For quick navigation within the audio file, you can use the slide control in the "Multimedia browser" or with the buttons F12 and⇧ + F12Fast forward or rewind five seconds.
The transcript and the recording are linked together using time stamps. Detailed information on the use of time stamps can be found in this section.
By default, the transcription text is automatically saved in the project file every 5 minutes. You can set this time interval in the Settings change from MAXQDA. To open the settings, click on the gear symbol in the upper right corner of the MAXQDA window.
Adjust rewind interval, volume and speed for the transcription
By default, a rewind interval of 2 seconds is set so that you can stay in the writing flow when you resume playback. You can set the rewind interval at any time to a time between 0 and 10 seconds in the transcription settings.
To adjust the volume and speed of playback, click the icon Control panel in the "multimedia browser". The following dialog then appears, which allows you to adjust the volume and speed of the playback.
Coding during transcription
You can encode the typed text with new or existing codes while transcribing. To do this, mark a text segment, for example, and drag it onto a code in the "List of Codes".
In addition, the entire functionality of the “multimedia browser” can be used. Sections can also be marked and coded there and memos and document links can be set. You can find detailed explanations of how to use the “Multimedia Browser” in the section on encoding videos.
Finish and continue transcribing
You can exit the transcription mode at any time: To do this, simply close the "multimedia browser".
To continue working on a transcript, you must be familiar with the right click on the document and the entry Transcribe audio file or. Transcribe video file choose.
Transcribing support through foot switch
MAXQDA supports the following foot switches from Audiotranskription to make transcribing easier and faster:
- The yellow "Science" switch has the same function as the button F4 or F5 (depending on the software setting on the foot switch): Pressing it once starts, pressing it again pauses playback.
- The black button “Science II” has to be pressed and held to play the media file and released to pause the playback.
- The “Office” foot switch has three buttons: pressing the left button once rewinds 5 seconds, the right button 5 seconds forward. The middle button must be held down to play the media file and released to pause it.
- Mashable loses quality
- Which scientific models of autism have been overturned?
- What is Barry White's most successful song
- What Shakespeare plays have sonnets
- Why are so many interviews terrible?
- Is all-weather radar Doppler radar
- What are some popular Estonian pastimes
- What is crypto currency really worth to you
- Is I2C present in all microcontroller peripherals
- Do the Chinese have protest marches
- What is a metal oxidation reaction
- Why does champagne make you sleepy
- Which fountain pen did you use first?
- Sex robots will replace women
- Has technology emphasized your relationship
- What is the wildest video game
- What are important rules for companies
- What is the state motto of Ohio
- Is it easy to build a castle
- Why is technology underestimated by some people
- Where is the Khutaghat dam
- What is a 3 band equalizer
- How are patents protected in India
- What is 918kiss
- How is the Bitcoin inflation rate calculated
- Why hasn't the AC helmet invented yet
- Can schizophrenia and BPD be comorbid
- How long did sexism last
- Do psychopaths have triggers
- Can Bitcoin make me money 1
- What does HubSpot do
- Why is European chocolate so terrifyingly delicious
- How can I start experiencing hypnosis
- What is 4 5 13 18 2