What substance in chloroform makes us faint
chloroformDrug groupsAnestheticsChloroform is an active ingredient from the group of anesthetics that is no longer used medically due to its toxicity.
synonymous: chloroformum, trichloromethane, chloroformium, CHCl3Products
Medicines containing chloroform are no longer on the market in Switzerland. Chloroform is available as a pure substance in specialist shops. It was first synthesized in 1831.Structure and properties
Chloroform (CHCl3, Mr = 119.4 g / mol) is a trichlorinated methane. It is a colorless, volatile liquid with a sweet odor and is hardly soluble in water. The boiling point is 61 ° C. The addition of ethanol prevents the substance from breaking down into toxic phosgene. Chloroform is not flammable.
Chloroform (ATC N01AB02) has anesthetic, analgesic and muscle relaxing properties.application areas
- As a solvent.
- Chloroform was previously used as an inhalation anesthetic. Due to its toxicity, it is no longer used today.
- Technical applications.
Chloroform can be used as an intoxicant and as an anesthetic. It is strongly advised against due to the possible undesirable effects.unwanted effects
Chloroform is harmful to health:
- Irritation to skin, respiratory tract and eyes
- Toxic by inhalation, loss of consciousness
- Mutagenic and teratogenic properties
- Damage to organs, liver and kidney toxicity
- Respiratory depression
In the case of a technical application, the information in the safety data sheet should therefore be carefully observed.see also
- Davidson I.W., Sumner D.D., Parker J.C. Chloroform: a review of its metabolism, teratogenic, mutagenic, and carcinogenic potential. Drug Chem Toxicol, 1982, 5 (1), 1-87 Pubmed
- Safety data sheet
- Winslow S.G., Gerstner H.B. Health aspects of chloroform - a review. Drug Chem Toxicol, 1978, 1 (3), 259-75 Pubmed
- Wolf D.C., Butterworth B.E. Risk assessment of inhaled chloroform based on its mode of action. Toxicol Pathol, 1997, 25 (1), 49-52 Pubmed
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.additional Information
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on April 19, 2020.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- How did the TB drug affect you?
- What are the benefits of laissez faire
- What are some interesting subjects in American history
- How can I change people's bad thinking?
- Can you study dog breeding?
- Why don't people eat freshwater fish?
- Who is the darkest anime character ever
- This is how headphones with noise suppression work 2
- What is CodeVita
- Ants know that humans exist
- What is maximizing shareholder wealth
- What was the Watergate scandal about?
- How can I reverse this process
- Unclaimed money websites are a scam
- What can no one agree on?
- How do you document the programming
- What was the first agile project ever
- What is the business model of gojee coms
- What is the pH of 0.05M HCl
- What kind of grammar does Haskell have
- What is philosophy of mind
- Is incognito mode safe for torrenting?
- What are the main achievements of the Ming Dynasty
- Introspection is the key to happiness