Why and how can a fish swim
Pressure and buoyancy
Fish can - apparently without much effort - stay in a certain water depth. They do this because they have a swim bladder whose volume they can change.
If the weight of the fish is equal to its buoyancy, the fish floats. According to Archimedes, the buoyancy force is equal to the weight of the displaced liquid. The weight of the displaced liquid is in turn directly proportional to the volume of the fish.
If a fish floats and pumps air into its swim bladder, its volume and thus the buoyancy increases. Since its weight stays the same, the fish will rise. As a rule, however, the active inflation of the swim bladder is not necessary at all, because by moving the fins slightly, it reaches a shallower water depth in which the water pressure is lower and thus the gas-filled swim bladder is no longer compressed so much and its volume increases automatically. When climbing more strongly, the fish even has to release gas from the air bladder so that the enlargement of the swim bladder caused by the decreasing water pressure does not cause it to climb too quickly.
If gas is withdrawn from the swim bladder in a floating fish, the buoyancy force decreases and the fish sinks. The increasing water pressure at greater depths then reduces the volume of the swim bladder even further, so that the sinking accelerates and the fish has to push gas into the swim bladder again in order not to sink too quickly.
The sinking and rising of the fish is mainly initiated by the movement of the fins and the balance is established by the pressure in the swim bladder.
- Why am I inspired by children
- Which books should entrepreneurs read for marketing?
- DoorDash is a Ponzi scheme
- Crying also has advantages like smiling
- What allows meditation
- Food can make your ears ring
- Will the English language ever be standardized
- What are the disadvantages of CRT computers
- Why is my computer screen constantly buggy
- How Online Shopping Has Changed Your Business
- To what extent does the police prevent crime
- When will Sensex recover
- Which is the best CFD software
- What is bubble architecture
- Is our body basic or acidic?
- Duck is considered a fowl
- Some people can taste diseases
- How do we solve Britains Chav problem
- How is the life of Shahrukh Khans
- Why can't I brown butter?
- Is an anal orgasm better than vaginally
- What are some civ 5 tips
- What does queue mean
- How depression causes mood swings
- Who Sang the True Song True 1983
- What causes headache after exercise
- Opinions Ladies are attractive to Youtube stars
- What is Google Associate Android Developer Certification
- Profit is liability for the business
- What is an azimuth 1
- What are duette multifocal contact lenses
- Does existence have an intrinsic value?
- What is being mined in Luxembourg