Is NH4Cl an ionic compound
Ammonium chloride (NH4Cl) is a white, water-soluble salt that forms cubic crystals.
As the temperature rises, ammonium chloride increasingly dissociates to form ammonia and hydrogen chloride. At 340 ° C the substance sublimates completely. Ammonium chloride melts at 520 ° C. under pressure (34.4 bar). As a food additive, it bears the number E 510.
Naturally occurring ammonium chloride is considered a mineralAmmonia known and widespread. The name "Salmiak" derives from lat. "sal ammoniacum"(Salt of Ammon, see also the origin of the name of ammonia), since it occurred in ancient times near an Ammon temple in today's Egypt and was confused with Halite (rock salt).
Extraction and presentation
Ammonium chloride can be obtained by neutralizing aqueous ammonia solution with hydrochloric acid or by reacting gaseous ammonia with gaseous hydrogen chloride. It can be purified by recrystallizing it from water.
Ammonium chloride is a by-product of the production of soda by the Solvay process.
Ammonium chloride is readily soluble in water. Aqueous solutions are acidic. The pH of a 1% solution is about 5.5. It is poorly soluble in ethanol and insoluble in acetone and ether.
When ammonium chloride is mixed with strong bases, gaseous ammonia is released.
Ammonium chloride is used today, among other things, for the production of cold mixtures, in dyeing and tannery. It is also used for tinning, galvanizing or soldering, as it has the ability to form volatile chlorides with metal oxides and thus clean the metal surface. It also serves as an expectorant in medicine and is used as an electrolyte in zinc-carbon batteries; also in salmiak liquorice. It is also commonly found in smoke powder (white).
- ↑ abcdefG BGIA GESTIS substance database: http://www.hvbg.de/d/bia/gestis/stoffdb/index.html. Aug 15, 2007
- Pradyot Patnaik: Handbook of Inorganic Chemicals. McGraw-Hill, New York 2002 ISBN 0-07-049439-8 (English)
Categories: Harmful Substance | Lovely substance | Ammonium compound | Chloride | Cubic crystal system
- When Bagali starts cutting cakes on his birthday
- Are fat girls less attractive to men
- The Redbox device cleans the DVDs
- What is the power of greatness
- How do you vent a propane heater
- What are the healthiest green tea brands
- How Much is Too Much Biotin
- What is a meta-heuristic algorithm
- How was your IB ACIO 2017 exam
- Why do people like fake romantic films
- What do you think of Republicans
- What is a philosophical stance
- Where can you get Amazon gift cards
- What are the top 5 stock brokers
- Can Bitcoin avoid the next financial crisis?
- Which song reminds you of Chicago
- How many referees take care of football games
- Can problem-solving skills exist without consciousness
- When should I avoid massage?
- Should I use Penske or Uhaul
- Should I just hold old coins
- What is the highest contribution in TNEB
- Viewing videos from YouTube is considered browsing
- What is your opinion on Pokemon 1