Are electronic goods allowed on a flight?
Electronics in the case - what is allowed on the plane!
Update: 01.01.20 // E.contains advertising *
Flying with electronics in your suitcase used to be much easier. On the one hand because you didn't feel like you had that many devices and on the other hand because there weren't that many regulations and restrictions. In this article, you will learn everything there is to know about traveling with electronic devices in your luggage. What can I take on the plane? What is not allowed to take on the plane? What are the restrictions on batteries and power banks? How do I package electronics for travel and much more.
Why are there restrictions on electronic devices on board an airplane?
The European aviation safety authority EASA and the American federal aviation authority FAA restrict the transport of electronic devices with lithium batteries in aircraft.
Batteries that are not permanently installed, such as power banks or replacement batteries, have been completely banned from the suitcase (checked baggage) and may only be carried in hand luggage on the aircraft.
Portable electronic devices with built-in lithium batteries such as laptops, tablets and smartphones are allowed in both checked baggage and hand baggage. Here, too, there are of course restrictions that you have to pay attention to in case of doubt. Such devices in checked baggage must also be completely switched off and protected from unintentional damage and being switched on.
In addition, only lithium batteries with a capacity of less than 100 watt hours are generally permitted. Batteries with a capacity of 100-160 watt hours are limited to two batteries per passenger and must be approved by the airline. Batteries with a capacity of over 160 watt hours are always prohibited.
What can I take on the plane?
Electronics permitted in suitcases and hand luggage
Note: It is impossible to show the individual guidelines of each airline. The list of permitted electronics in aircraft is only intended to give you an overview. So always check the individual guidelines on the airline website before each flight.
The following electronic devices are in checked baggage and hand baggage normally allowed:
- E-book reader
- Smart suitcase. However, the battery must be removed and carried in hand luggage.
- Electronic razor
- Electric toothbrush
- Most electronic plug-in devices do not have a battery, such as a universal socket
- This all-in-one travel adapter accepts plugs from more than 200 countries with US / EU / AU / UK plugs such as Thailand, New Zealand, Israel, Italy, France, Spain, Canada, China, Australia, Hong Kong, Argentina, Peru, Japan etc
- The universal power supply is integrated in the latest self-resetting fuse. In the event of overcurrent or overvoltage, the fuse is switched off when the current is high and automatically reset as soon as the power supply is normal again. The fuse does not have to be changed.
Electronics allowed in hand luggage only
The following electronic devices are allowed on the plane only in hand luggage take:
- Power banks up to 100 watt hours
- Replacement batteries for electronic devices
- Chargers for replacement batteries
- E-cigarettes. Use on the plane is of course prohibited.
What is not allowed to take on the plane?
Electronic devices in suitcases and hand luggage
The following electronic devices are not prohibited in checked baggage or hand baggage on the aircraft:
- Power banks with over 160 watt hours (Wh)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones due to battery problems
- 15 inch Apple Macbook Pro models that were sold between 2015 and 2017.
- Smart suitcase
- Battery-operated means of transport such as hoverboards, e-scooters, mini-Segways are prohibited by most airlines, regardless of the battery power.
- Electric lighters. With some airlines, all lighters are generally prohibited.
Why are there any restrictions on lithium batteries in airplanes?
Lithium batteries are handled so strictly because they are not very safe. In the event of a manufacturing defect, accidental damage, or short circuit, the batteries can ignite and / or explode.
The most famous cases were in 2016 with Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones. Due to production errors, it sometimes led to batteries exploding during charging. As a result, the smartphone was banned from the FAA and EASA on flights.
exception: Wheelchairs or other mobility aids that are powered by lithium batteries are not affected by this ban. Always ask for safety
The following items are considered to be generally dangerous and, for security reasons, may not be carried in checked baggage or hand baggage:
- Weapons of all kinds and pointed objects
- Chemical and flammable objects / liquids
- Camping stove
- Strongly magnetic materials
Pack electronics properly and the security check at the airport
All larger electronic devices must be placed in separate containers during the airport security check. This is because larger devices can interfere with the X-ray image.
Hair dryers, electronic razors and toothbrushes usually do not have to be laid out separately. Just make sure that you don't have your devices all the way down in the suitcase.
Also, make sure that all of your devices are protected. Especially if you don't have a specific laptop or camera bag:
You can buy specially designed electronic organizers for charging cables, SD cards, smaller power banks and USB sticks.
- Double layer - the upper cable pocket organizes cables, USB sticks, SD cards, charger. The lower storage bag offers space for power bank, hard drive, spare batteries, 10.5 inch tablet, kindle and other accessories
- Easily organized - sort and separate your accessories so that you can find them again when you need them. Never look for laid cables again
It is also useful to have a list, e.g. in your note app, with all the technical devices that you have with you. When you leave you will not forget anything in your accommodation.
Electronics in the airplane - further travel tips
1) Always pack your expensive electronic devices in hand luggage
Occasionally, your suitcase might get lost somewhere between airports, or things might be stolen. So always take your valuable technology such as laptop and camera with you in your hand luggage.
2) Use a VPN for your internet connection
Using the public internet in cafes or airports can be dangerous. Without a VPN protection, your data can be read out quite easily. In addition, certain websites and apps are blocked in some countries. With a VPN connection you can fool your smartphone into thinking that you are currently on the German network, for example. With the free version of Windscribe you have 10gb of free traffic per month and can surf safely abroad. You can find many other apps and important pages for your trip in this post.
3) Think about baggage insurance
But first of all, check your credit card. MasterCards often have luggage insurance with them, and even if not, they can be applied for at a very affordable price. It is important that you still have the receipts for your electronic devices. You can find out what else you should think about when planning your trip in my travel checklist to print out and tick off.
4) Make backups
Electronic devices can break or be stolen. It is important that you make regular backups of your smartphone and your laptop or cameras. Use a cloud of your choice or get one of the water- and shock-proof external hard drives.
Electronics in a case - this question has hopefully been clarified! What else would be of interest to me is which electronic devices you take with you in your suitcase and which in your hand luggage? Have you ever had problems with electronics in your suitcase on a plane? I am happy about your experience!
* advertising: this post contains affiliate links and unsolicited or unpaid advertising. You can find out more about this here.
Last update of Amazon products on May 21, 2021 / Images from the Amazon Product Advertising API
You might like it too
- What was Charlie Chaplin's fortune
- Telangana is the best state in India
- Why were birds domesticated by humans?
- Do we really need staff in companies
- What is structured packaging
- How can C2H2 be formed from C2H4Br2?
- Do non-mammals have sex hormones
- What is the opposite meaning of compassion
- How do laser weapons work
- What is pink gin
- What does an exhibition curator do
- Where can you buy a Super Nintendo
- Where are the ethics for implementing AI
- How does epigenetics control our DNA
- What is spatial perspective in geography
- What happens to decommissioned satellites
- Why do squirrels scurry?
- What is a baseball cross checker
- Why do horses have high withers?
- What does a property inspection entail
- Should there be a legal minimum age for alcohol consumption
- Should you buy Skyrim or Skyrim SE
- How do you fish
- What are the similarities between two people
- How do I secure my WhatsApp chats
- How is the view outside your home
- How do cricketers make money
- How do different animals express their happiness?
- How do I learn arrays in Java
- Why do the students end up learning math by heart?
- Why is money more important than peace
- Congressional resolutions are introduced as draft laws
- When will I likely have my menopause?
- How many days are there in February 2020