Do the Chinese have protest marches
For protesting against China's security law : Eight democracy activists arrested in Hong Kong
Several democracy activists have again been arrested in Hong Kong on the basis of the controversial Chinese security law. The eight activists, including three former members of parliament, were accused of organizing and participating in an unauthorized demonstration against the law on July 1, the police said on Tuesday. If convicted under the Security Act, the activists face up to five years in prison.
Those arrested include well-known democracy activist Leung Kwok Hung, former leader of the Hong Kong Democratic Party, Wu Chi Wai and ex-MP Eddie Chu. The organizer of an annual demonstration to commemorate the handover of the former British Crown Colony to Great Britain, Figo Chan, was also appointed.
The arrests came a few hours after the US imposed new sanctions on 14 Chinese leaders in response to the expulsion of pro-democracy MPs from the Hong Kong parliament. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo once again condemned the so-called security law in the grounds of the punitive measures. This "undermines" Hong Kong's autonomy.
[If you want to have the latest news from Berlin, Germany and the world live on your mobile phone, we recommend our app, which you can download here for Apple and Android devices.]
The law passed in June allows the Chinese authorities in Hong Kong to crack down on any activity they consider to be a national security threat. The law massively interferes with Hong Kong's autonomy rights. It was enacted in the wake of the pro-democracy protests of the past year.
Tens of thousands of people took to the streets against the passage of the law. More than 370 people were arrested in connection with the July 1st demonstration, including for displaying banners or flags with pro-democracy slogans. (AFP)
- MacOS dies
- Why didn't Hitler have a normal mustache?
- Can you decipher the word tilel?
- What does heavy armed robbery mean?
- Yoga makes your legs chunkier
- Where did playing the guitar help you?
- Blogspot also contains its own blog views
- What is Alpha Oxygen
- What is the legal liquidity ratio
- Can my signature be my initials?
- How do you simplify 1 113
- Abby Martin is a good journalist
- Are Tatar and Bashkir understandable
- Why did God make us weak?
- What are the unknown facts about mosquitos
- Donald Trump kills himself slowly
- Why does Burger King sell 1 tacos
- What is your favorite personal finance resource
- What is a mouflon in North Africa
- How do I master PHP programming
- Does biology contradict the laws of physics?
- Computers really do make mistakes
- Samsung engineers use Samsung phones
- What is black history 1