Why does monosodium glutamate taste so good
Diet: That's how harmful glutamate in food really is
Opinions differ on an inconspicuous chemical compound. The flavor enhancer monosodium glutamate - usually called glutamate for short - is considered by some as a "voracious agent that contributes significantly to overweight and obesity". So the pediatrician and author Michael Hermanussen. In shrill tones, he denounces the most frequently used additive in the food industry. Some researchers blame glutamate for intolerance reactions such as nausea and headaches (the Chinese restaurant syndrome).
The World Health Organization (WHO) and the German Nutrition Society (DGE) in Bonn, on the other hand, call for serenity: “We assume that glutamate does not pose a health risk when used rationally as part of a balanced diet,” explains a spokeswoman for the DGE.
Glutamate also E621
Glutamate, the salt of glutamic acid, is a natural component of numerous foods such as tomatoes, ham and cheese. The substance is also produced synthetically with the help of bacteria. It is popular worldwide as a condiment. Asians use it in powder form for cooking, in Germany it is mainly used as a flavor enhancer with the code E621 in industrial food production.
It is estimated that 1.5 million tons are produced worldwide every year. In Germany, too, E621 has become the most important additive for convenience foods. Thanks to glutamate, pizzas, snacks, soups, sausages and many other products get a meaty, spicy note, the so-called umami taste (Japanese for deliciousness). In this way, food manufacturers can save on expensive raw materials such as meat, shrimp or cheese.
Glutamate is a messenger substance
The Japanese Kikunae Ikeda discovered monosodium glutamate in 1908. Today, umami is the fifth basic taste alongside salty, sour, sweet and bitter.
However, glutamate is much more than just a condiment. As a messenger substance in the brain, it plays an important role in cell metabolism.
This is where the concerns about the use of glutamate on an industrial scale begin. The list of suspicions is long. In the 1970s, the first cases became known in the USA in which glutamate is said to have triggered acute symptoms such as headaches and numbness after visiting Asian snack bars. In double-blind trials (a double-blind study is an experiment in which neither test persons nor investigator know which subjects belong to the experimental group and which to the control group.) With persons who say they suffer from the Chinese restaurant syndrome, no connection between Prove glutamate consumption and the symptoms.
Neurotoxic effects of glutamate
Another accusation is significantly more severe than the generally rarely documented Chinese restaurant syndrome: Glutamate damages the brain in the long term and can lead to serious diseases such as Alzheimer's or Parkinson's, warn some scientists.
- Does biology contradict the laws of physics?
- Forex trading will take forever
- Is SSB really unpredictable
- Can two figures be similar and congruent
- How was your AIIMS 2019 exam today
- Would you recommend a visit to Isla Magdalena Chile
- SSE selection is stopped by RRB
- What great agritech startups do you know
- Follow the Kentucky Derby
- Why stars look white but not red
- How does WhatsApp make money 10
- What's your experience with Sketchers shoes
- Makes brain stimulation addictive
- What are toy problems
- Compression ratio what is
- Help court rulings initiate changes
- Uses TL DR unprofessionally
- Saliva works against a mosquito bite
- Why is a nematode called a pseudocoeloma
- What information does the IBAN number contain
- Who would Dr. Win Fate or Brainiac
- What is Canberra's population
- How do you like to get up early?
- Have classic car prices reached their peak
- How are options declared in Swift
- How does Thorn compare to Scala
- Are embedded systems part of the IoT
- How was Jainism introduced?
- What are you currently missing
- What are the most difficult peaks in the world
- How do you vent a propane heater
- What are the healthiest green tea brands
- What are feminist arguments against egalitarian porn
- What kind of grammar does Haskell have