What is hydronium
Oxonium (also Oxidanium) is the name for protonated water (H3O+) and belongs to the hydrogen ions according to IUPAC. The names Hydroxonium or Hydronium are out of date and should no longer be used according to the recommendations of chemical nomenclature, but are still widely used in the literature.
The pKa value of the oxonium ion is -1.74.
- H+ · H2O ≡ H3O+
- Oxonium ion
Oxonium ions are formed by autoprotolysis of the water, whereby a proton (H.+) passes from one water molecule to another. In equilibrium in neutral water, at a temperature of 25 ° C, there is a molar concentration of the oxonium ions (as well as the hydroxide ions) of 10−7 mol / l, which defines the neutral pH value of 7.
- As a result of the autoprotolysis of the water, oxonium and hydroxide ions are constantly created even in neutral water, which react back to water molecules.
The addition of acids increases this equilibrium concentration through the transfer of protons from the acid to water molecules, and the pH value is lowered. In alkaline solutions, the pH increases as the concentration of oxonium ions decreases.
The lifespan of the oxonium ion is very short (around 10−13Seconds), since the attached proton is very easily passed on to another water molecule:
- Transfer of a proton from one water molecule to another.
In solution there is a continuous transition between differently hydrated protons. During the transfer, a proton is always passed on from one oxygen atom to the next. The positions of the individual atoms change only minimally. This defect migration, which is also known as the Grotthuss mechanism, is the reason for the high ion equivalent conductivity of protons of 315 S · cm compared to other ions3· Mol-1.
The Zundel ion and the Self-ion are the limiting species in this process. The Zundel ion can formally be viewed as a proton that is hydrated by two water molecules:
- H+ • 2 H.2O ≡ H5O2+
- Zundel Ion (+1)
In contrast, the Eigen ion (formally [H9O4]+ or Tetraoxidanium) formally an oxonium hydrated by three water molecules.
- H3O+ · 3 H2O ≡ H9O4+
- Self-ion (+1)
Since this hydration in aqueous solution does not play a role in calculations, the notation H is usually used3O+ (the actual oxonium ion) or even just H+ (Hydron) used. Free protons are practically non-existent in aqueous solutions.
Stable oxonium salts are only used by the strongest acids, e.g. B. perchloric acid, formed:
- Water is protonated by perchloric acid. This creates an oxonium ion and the perchlorate anion. Both together form the oxonium salt.
Categories: Chemical Compound | Acid-base reaction
- Why was Jeffree staring in jail
- Which company offers e-mail lists for hematologists
- Can you put Gatorade in your steam
- Has hotstar friends TV series
- Who wrote the song Stronger by Tank
- What are the main similarities between languages
- How to quickly attract a woman
- Who Are Some Popular K Pop Bands
- Apple is finally saying goodbye to fashion
- Is chemical engineering your passion
- Who was Britain's first queen
- Why are pacifiers also called dummies
- Can an electronics engineer become an astronaut?
- Why do I not like anyone
- What do the Saudis think of Kurds
- What are your favorite rare words
- What is the function of a budget
- Why is capitalism the cause of sexism
- What do you think of a real redhead
- What is the memory module in OpenCart
- What is the best fire retardant
- How late is it on Earth's moon
- How does dopamine oversecretion affect the brain?
- How the United States changed under Abraham Lincoln
- What did people drink before 1000 AD
- Which web apps do not request registration
- What's your go to 80s song
- Are there any Latin jokes
- Does tuberculosis always cause leukocytosis
- What are Node js and AngularJS
- What is the limit of anger
- Is coffee countable or uncountable
- What is your favorite brand of vibrator