What does Barack Obama think of Kenya?
While successor Trump meets Putin - Coolbama in Kenya
Barack Obama in Kenya on the trail of his African roots - again a cool appearance, an ex-US President you can touch. “I come as a brother and as a citizen of the world. It's good to be back, ”he said on Monday in Kogelo, his father's home village.
It is exciting to "meet so many people who belong to the family - and so many who claim to be relatives," said the former US president with a smile.
Opening of a training center
At the end of his two-day trip to the East African country, Obama opened a training center, initiated and operated by the Sauti Kuu Foundation of his half-sister Auma Obama.
The center aims to give children and young people better opportunities by giving them English lessons and learning agricultural techniques. “Sauti Kuu” is Kiswahili for “strong voices”, the foundation wants to give start-up aid for an emancipated, self-determined life. Kenya has made great strides in recent years, said Obama. “That should encourage young Kenyans to achieve even more. It all starts with young people in places like this. "
Obama tells from childhood
At the inauguration, Obama danced to African songs by the side of his half-sister and grandmother Sarah Obama. He then told of a visit to Kenya when he was a teenager: when he was hungry, he had to catch a chicken before the longed-for meal. The incident and the subsequent visit to his father's grave were life-changing: "That gave me a feeling of satisfaction that no five-star hotel could have offered me."
Meeting with Kenya's President
On Sunday evening, Obama met Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta.
The former US head of state criticized, among other things, the widespread corruption in Kenya and the violence between the different ethnic groups with which the country is repeatedly confronted.
Obama's onward journey to South Africa was planned for Monday evening (local time). In Johannesburg he is supposed to give the speech at the ceremony for Nelson Mandela, who would have turned 100 on Wednesday.
Barack Obama (56) was the Democratic US President from 2009 to 2017. Obama's father, Barack Hussein Obama Senior (1936-1982), was Kenyan, his mother Stanley Ann Dunham (1942-1995) came from Wichita, Kansas.
His older half-sister Auma Obama, a sociologist, doctorate in German, journalist and author, studied in Germany.
PS: Are you on Facebook? Become a fan of BILD.de politics!
- What is the curriculum of the BA LLB
- Is diarrhea a sign of pregnancy
- Contain minced egg patties
- What is ANSYS software
- How can I scan sheet music?
- How do animals save people?
- Who is a marxist
- What are the best churches in Florence
- Is love the universal language
- Why can't companies make cell phones without batteries?
- Socialists believe in theft
- Why use main in C.
- What is Dead Butt Syndrome
- How does a 300 bar compressor work
- How can I eradicate candidiasis naturally?
- Why can't you just be normal 7
- Has Hans Zimmer released any live albums
- Who coined the term smartphone?
- What does plaster mean in Yiddish
- Gabapentin is effective for nerve pain
- How do I get HBO on Firestick
- Why hasn't the AC helmet invented yet
- Drinking alcohol stops ketosis
- What are the best apps for lawyers