How did the Polynesians discover new land
Polynesia & America: Contact long before the arrival of Europeans
In recent years, researchers studying human DNA have also joined the debate. They took a look at the genomes of the residents of Rapa Nui, famous for its towering stone moai statues. A 2014 study of the DNA of 27 people on the island found that around 8 percent of their genetic makeup came from Native American ancestors. These earlier results suggested that the two groups mingled as early as 1340 AD - centuries before Europeans first made contact with the Rapa Nui residents in 1722 and later raided their island in search of slaves.
For the new study, an international, multidisciplinary team examined the genomes of more than 800 individuals from 17 different Polynesian islands, including Rapa Nui, and 15 different indigenous groups on South America's coasts. "Previous studies have only focused on the possibility that [Rapa Nui] might be the point of contact," says lead author Andrés Moreno-Estrada, a geneticist at the National Laboratory of Genomics for Biodiversity in Mexico. "We are expanding the question to also explore other options in the Pacific."
The researchers found that contact between Polynesian individuals and a Native American group related to today's indigenous people of Colombia occurred as early as 1150 AD. That is two centuries earlier than stated in the 2014 DNA study. The place where researchers found the earliest signs of contact was Fatu Hiva, an island in the southern Marquesas.
- Why don't sitcoms air on vacation
- How did arranged marriages come about?
- How do I hang up eyelet curtains
- What does the selling price mean
- What is the most common number
- Why did Roseanne make a racist tweet
- This is how headphones with noise suppression work 2
- Need a cable
- You can share screenshots of iPhone memes
- Are religious rights fundamental to human rights
- Woodworking as a business
- What is the Jio SIM IMSI number
- Coding is required for robotics
- Which is the most popular Marathi movie
- What makes pop music different from other genres?
- What's the best roast you've heard
- Which bone in humans grows the least
- How can I identify a gasoline engine
- What brings people to downtown Dallas
- Should I choose Kkday or Klook
- Can you drink medicine with milk
- Which cannabis strains have the most CBD?
- There are online tutorials for calculating
- Why is meat so good